Mother Nature is the big winner

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

By DJ Everett


It was a night of trying to dodge the raindrops as mother nature was trying to spoil our fun.  Nonetheless our loyal fans still packed the grandstands on ICCU night featuring the Gibson Diesel Super Late Models, ICCU Modifieds, Brennan’s Carpet Midgets, Project Filter Bombers, and the Quale’s Electronics Jr Stingers!

The first race of the night was the first of two Quale’s Electronics Jr Stingers main events with a good field on hand.  On this night we welcomed back Kaethyn Gilligan for his first visit this year and Jaxon McCray from Utah for his first ever visit to MVS.  Kristopher McKean led the field right away at the start with Kaili McKean right on his rear bumper.  Kristopher led the first couple of laps before he spun on the infield portion and that handed the lead to his big sister Kaili and McCray moved into second who looked very impressive in his first outing.  Once Kaili was out in front, she checked out on the field and didn’t look back recording another win this year.

The ICCU Modifieds came out next for their first of two main events as well.  The green flag was waving and polesitter Devin Burdette towed the field out in front for the first few laps with Lynn Hardy making his way into second from the second row.  The caution flag flew for Scott Gilligan who slowed and at the same time for Burdette who was leaking fuel onto the racing surface.  Burdette made a visit to the pit area handing the lead over to Hardy.  On the restart, Hardy had a great launch and jumped out to a multi car length lead, but trouble struck this time with Burdette who returned from the pit area and Mitch Pehrson.  As Burdette entered turn 3, he and Pehrson made contact sending both cars hard into the wall.  Burdette was able to drive away but Pehrson needed the aid of the medical crew to get out of his car.  A short ride in the ambulance to the pit area to get checked out and Pehrson walked away with some bumps and bruises.  Its been a tough year for Pehrson as he has been caught up in some incidents not to mention he had a similar accident two years ago in his street stock in the same area of the track where he took a ride in the ambulance on that night as well.  After a short red flag period, we were back to racing with Hardy out in front again.  Tim Fahrner slotted into second and points leader Eric Rhead in third.  The yellow flag flew again for Natalie Waters taking her car for a slide on the infield grass down the frontstretch.  Green flag back out again and Rhead picked off Fahrner and Hardy to move into the top spot.  A couple of more caution flags for some minor spins but once the field got some green flag laps going, Rhead had a full straightaway lead on the field.  Jason Quale started showing some strength late in the race by clawing his way into second.  At that point, Rhead started to slow and eventually pulled off the track into the pit area with mechanical issues.  That handed the lead to Quale in which he held all the way to the checkers for his third win of the year.  

During intermission, heavy rains plagued the area and unfortunately brought an early end to the evening.  We would like to thank ICCU for coming out and setting up their display for the fans.  This Saturday night is CED Night featuring the ICCU Modifieds, Cactus Pete’s Streets, Project Filter Bombers, Magic Valley Pipe Hornets, Quale’s Electronics Jr Stingers, and double deckers!  Gates open at 5pm and McDonalds Racing at 7pm.  It’s another busy night of racing so you won’t want to miss it!  We will see all of you at the fastest 1/3 mile oval in Idaho………….Magic Valley Speedway!

Close Menu