Magic Valley Speedway            
Your Subtitle text

07/17/10 News

Ty Garibay found himself suspended upside down in the cockpit of his Quale’s Electronics Hornets car after landing on his roof early in the main event race Saturday night at Magic Valley Speedway. Fortunately, Garibay walked away unscathed from the incident.

It came down to a father and son fight to the finish, but the elder McKean held his ground to the checkered flag to capture the win Saturday night at Magic Valley Speedway.

Eddy McKean began the Mr. Gas Late Models 50-lap main event race seventh from a field of 11 competitors. With Mike Greco in the lead, the caution flag was brought out at lap 12 after Kris McKean and Dan Pehrson got together in turn four and both were sent to the rear of the field for the restart.

Eddy McKean soon took over the front runner position leaving Greco to battle for second with Rick Fowble. At lap 36 Greco had to contend with Kris McKean, who had fought his way back through the field and was gunning for the win. After getting around Greco with 11 laps remaining in the event, Kris McKean then set his sights on his dad.

In the final laps he would catch the No. 19 car in the corners, but would lose him in the straight-aways. With a half-lap remaining Kris McKean gave it one last shot, however he lost control just before entering turn three and wound up backing into the infield wall, taking him out of contention.

The seventh place finish was not the outcome he expected.

“He pinched the corner more than I thought he would and we got together,” Kris McKean said. “We had the fastest car all night but we had to go from the back to the front a few times — so we just did what we could.”

Eddy McKean knew he had a good car for the night and took advantage of it as quickly as possible to get the win.

“Our car was hooked up early and then we just got out front faster than anyone else,” Eddy McKean said. “Kris got up there at the end but it looks like he made a mistake – drove into me a little bit trying to get it.”

Hoogendoorn Cruises  to NAPA Auto Parts Street Stocks victory

John Hoogendoorn, who started the main event from the ninth starting position, motored his way into the lead. By lap 20, Hoogendoorn had put nearly a one-quarter track lead on the competition, going on to easily take the win at lap 30.

Audet first Brennan’s Carpet Pony Stocks at the finish line

Todd Audet survived a wild 20-lap main event race after gaining the lead at lap 12. Points leader Ray Homolka left the track just before the halfway point after an incident in turn three and would not complete the race. Jerry Slocum finished in the runner-up position followed by James Bird in third.

Peck hammers out Quale’s Electronics Hornets win

Before even one lap was completed in the main event race, point leader Ty Garibay gave all in attendance a scare after flipping upside down on the infield. Garibay walked away unscathed from the wreck and was even ready to climb back in the car after it was righted on all four wheels, however the car was not mechanically fit to continue. Once the race resumed, Jeff Peck was able to hold off a hard charging Andy Brennan for the win.

Dalton captures first Jr. Stingers victory

As Russell Dalton and Doug Brownfield fought fiercely for the lead, the pair connected at lap four of the main event race. Brownfield was unable to continue and Dalton rode off with the win, making his first trip to Victory Lane.


Mr. Gas Late Models: 1. Eddy McKean, 2. Mike Greco, 3. Rick Fowble, 4. Norm Hatke, 5. Dan Pehrson.

NAPA Street Stocks: 1. John Hoogendoorn, 2. John Newell, 3. Casey Pehrson, 4. Jim Shirley, 5. Craig Nuthak.

Brennan’s Carpet Pony Stocks: 1. Todd Audet, 2. Jerry Slocum, 3. James Bird, 4. Wade Henslee, 5. Ray Homolka.

Quale’s Electronics Hornets: 1. Jeff Peck, 2. Andy Brennan, 3. Bob Gilligan, 4. Josh Johnson, 5. Brandan Greco.

Quale’s Jr. Stingers: 1. Russell Dalton, 2. Doug Brownfield.