Magic Valley Speedway            
Your Subtitle text

08/07/10 News

                                                        Willie Dalton wins Super Stocks battle at MVS

    Willie Dalton is no one-hit wonder. Surviving setbacks and a three-lap shootout to the checkered flag, The Budweiser Super Stocks drivercame back to win his second main event of the season Saturday night at Magic Valley Speedway. Dalton began the 35-lap race from the front row, but fell back to fourth by lap nine leaving the battle for the lead up to Brennen VanderMeer and Steve Edens.

    A hard-charging Daniel Shirley knocked Dalton for a spin two laps later and after restart, Kris McKean began to make his move to the front, capturing it at lap 14. Seven laps later VanderMeer slowed on the track after contact with Jimmy Hall and the front stretch wall and the caution flag waved once again.

    The next restart began with McKean in front, but after some confusion on the track, the yellow flag was brought out and McKean exited to the pits to take care of a flat tire. This time Dalton found himself back up front for the restart with aggressive Jimmy Hall along side. But with three laps laps remaining in the race, Hall and Shirley drove themselves out of contention after getting together in turn four.

    The bad news for Dalton on this final restart points standings leader McKean was back in the picture after winding his way through the field. However, in the shootout for the win, Dalton was able to hold off both McKean and Jimmy Hall to take the trip to Victory Lane.

Fortunately for Dalton, the encounters on the track had stayed behind him. “My car wouldn’t handle all night, and I was just hoping for a good top five finish,” Dalton said. “When that last caution came out I was just trying to figure out who was going to start on the outside of me. I knew Kris was back there but then I saw the truck (Jimmy Hall) pull up next to me, and I thought as long as I was careful going into the corners, maybe we could pull it off. Then we took the green, and I just crossed my fingers and put my foot in it. It was crazy I was surprised I won it. .”

Audet wins convincingly in Brennan’s Pony Stocks

    Todd Audet ran away with the show, starting up front and remaining there throughout the 20-lap main event race.

    Ray Homolka spent the entire event trying to catch up to the hooked-up Audet, but as the race continued caution-free, Homolka’s efforts went unanswered. At the checkered, Audet had a 4.615 margin of victory over the points standing leader.

Gilligan finishes on top with Quale’s Electronics Hornets

    Looking to always keeping the Hornets division drivers guessing as to what kind of race they’ll be participating in, the main event race was ran clockwise through the road course track. With Bob Gilligan in the lead, Brandon Mortensen made a bold move to take the position away but the maneuver backfired as Gilligan held steady and Mortensen went sideways, allowing three cars to get around him.

    Jeff Peck and Ty Garibay fought a fierce battle for second for several laps, but Peck kept running into trouble and could only bring his damaged car to a fifth place finish for the night. Garibay finished in the runner-up position while Mortensen came back to finish third.

Rumsey in with Pro 4’s victory

    Eddie Secord and Steve Thompson were the top two contenders for the win throughout most of the first half of the 100-lap A-main event race, but traffic issues at lap 48 caused the two to spin out in turn four and after a red flag delay on the track, the pair were mired back in the field for the restart.

    Bud Rumsey soon took over for the remainder of the race, eventually motoring to a seven second win over Rob Powers. Thompson, who set a new track record in qualifying with a speed of 82.053 seconds around the one-third mile track, wound up finishing 17th while Secord battled back to finish third. Local driver Bruce Quale came through with a very respectable seventh place result.