Magic Valley Speedway            
Your Subtitle text

8/11/12 News

TWIN FALLS • Knowing he was down in points, Kris McKean needed to have a good racing night Saturday at Magic Valley Speedway.

It couldn’t have been much better.

Facing double mains, the Super Stocks drivers took on the first event with 12 cars in the starting field. Spencer Meyer led the early circuits but McKean took over at lap four. Soon two successive cautions would bunch up the field for restarts, each time pitting McKean and Casey Pehrson against one another for the lead.

Pehrson’s number was on top of the board at lap 17, but from then on it was all McKean.

Meanwhile Hannah Newhouse, who began the night with a 24-point lead over McKean in the standings spent most of the race trying to get around the cars of Dan Pehrson and Daniel Shirley, but failed to do so and finished sixth.

Seven cautions in the first 14 laps of the second main took its toll on the field and only seven cars were able to take the green flag for the restart at lap 15. From then on it was McKean and Newhouse who battled for the lead and the points they both so desperately needed to collect.

Several times Newhouse tried to make the low side pass and as the pair closed in on the checkered; Newhouse gave it one last try but spun her car just yards from the finish line. She would recover in time to finish second, just ahead of Casey Pehrson.

“All those cautions were both bad and good for me,” McKean said. “It just depends what side of it you’re on. I just happened to end up on the lucky side a couple of times tonight and came out with two wins.”

With the wins, he and Newhouse are now tied for the lead in the Super Stocks point standings.

Two Rocky Mountain Challenge Series drivers had a rough start to the night when the cars of Dylan Caldwell and Travis Monett crashed hard in the turn one wall just after the green flag dropped on the first segment of the 200-lap main event race. Jeff Hillock took over as front runner of the race at lap 45 and would maintain the position to take the first segment win at lap 75. He was followed to the line by Chris Fenton and TJ Woodhall.

Bruce Quale finished third in the second segment behind John Nesmith and Woodhall and received valuable bonus points for his efforts. Steve Jones, who was second in the RMCS point standings to leader Quale, suffered mechanical issues and would not get back into the race until 10 laps had flown by in the segment.

Woodhall continued his solid run on the night leading the final segment until Jason Jefferson managed to take over with 25 laps remaining in the race. At lap 200 Jefferson sailed across the finish line for the win while Woodhall held on for second followed by Nesmith.

While not completely satisfied with his sixth place finish in the race Quale will stay in the lead for the championship title race with two events remaining in the season including the finale at MVS September 15.

“I wish we would have finished in the top five,” he said. “But the first set we were really loose, and then in the second segment we started off good but then we got tight. The last set we were just way tight. But I gained a few more points on Jones — and that is good.”

Street Stocks driver Ernie Hall added to his lead in the points standings with two main event wins for the night. Jeff Peck crossed the finish line first in the Hornets main event race but the win was awarded to Lane Walker after Peck tagged Walker’s bumper sending him of course in the race to the checkered.